Over 60 Pounds Of Mercury Found In Minn Garage
You never know what you might find packed away in a corner of a garage...
One Minnesota man recently went to his late grandfather's garage, and discovered 64 pounds of mercury, which he tried to sell on-line. That's the equivalent of 30,000 mercury thermometers. The state of Minnesota bought the toxic chemical, to keep it from being released in the open. Carl Herbrandson of the Minnesota Department of Health says the liquid metal can cause a real mess. Mercury has been blamed for brain and nerve damage, which is why the government watches for high levels of it in fish, or from smokestacks.