Watch out for kids Wednesday morning...they are walking to school!
It's the international Walk to School Day event. The day is designed to educate children about pedestrian safety as well as to promote physical activity. The School District of La Crosse, in partnership with the La Crosse County Safe Routes to School Program and Gundersen Lutheran will have organized walks for Hamilton/ SOTA I, Franklin, Roosevelt, and Coulee Montessori, and Logan Middle School.
Mayor Matt Harter will kick things off at Powell Park at 7:30.
One month out from election day, Senator Russ Feingold has some ground to make up if he wants to keep his US senate seat. The Wisconsin democrat appears behind Republican challenger Ron Johnson in a few polls. UWL political analyst Joe Heim says the lead is not surprising considering the amount of money Johnson has dumped into campaign advertising. He says Johnson's polling lead now could diminish as Feingold's campaign puts more money into the race during the last few weeks.
No bells and whistles in this state health insurance program. Wisconsin's Badger Care Plus Basic program. $130 a month. A limited number of doctor visits. Generic drugs only. But is there a market for that kind of thing? Appears to be, says Rachel Currans-Sheehan with the state's Wisconsin health department, because the plan now covers about 35 hundred people. A new report says the three month old Plus Basic plan is in good shape; covering those 35 hundred on small premiums without tax dollars and still remaining financially sound.
West Salem gets some dough from the feds. 7 other Wisconsin cities and one county will have safer schools thanks a federal grant from the Secure-Our-Schools program in the U-S Justice Department.
West Salem is tabbed to get over $20 thousand dollars....something West Salem High School Principal Mark Carlson says came as a suprise.
The funding will help cover the costs of surveillance systems, metal detectors, locks, fences, and lighting among other things.
Ken Kratz resigned today as Calumet County’s district attorney, almost three weeks after he first admitted giving sexually-suggestive messages to a woman. In a statement, Kratz said he lost the confidence of the people he represented, due primarily to quote, “personal issues which have now affected my professional career.”
It was first reported last month that Kratz sent 30 racy text messages last fall to a domestic abuse victim while he was prosecuting her ex-boyfriend. At least four other women then came forward with stories of what Kratz told them – including one who said Kratz offered to help write a victim-witness statement in exchange for sex.
Doyle said this morning that every crime victim has the right to be treated with respect and dignity, and Kratz violated that right.